Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

A day late and a dollar short

I've been contemplating contentment. I read a study recently that said the average American does not want to be a CEO of a fortune 500 company.  He or she does not want to live in a 10,000 square foot home nor do they think making $100 million a year would make them happy.  No, the average American just wants $20 more per week.  That's all.  This small sum is desired by all people regardless of their current income, amount of consumer debt, age or education level.

I heard someone once say they just needed 100 square feet more in their 4,000 square-foot home and then they'd be satisfied. I often find myself thinking if my daughters were just two years older then life would be easier.  There are dozens of "if only...then..." scenarios.

If only I had more time, then I could have a better relationship with my kids.
If only I had less debt, then I would be able to give more money away.
If only I had two sinks in the  master bathroom, then my spouse and I wouldn't fight so much.
If only it weren't so hot/cold outside, then I could take better care of my body by exercising.
If only my job didn't take up so much time, then I could finish writing the great american novel.
If only I could lose 5 more pounds, then I'd be really good-looking.
If only the restaurants would serve smaller portions, then I could lose weight.
If only my house had more closet space, then I would have far less clutter.
If only my spouse/kids/boss/neighbor/parents treated me better, then I would have more self-confidence.

Underlying all of these "If/Then" moments is a lack of contentment.  What we are really saying is "If I just had ________ then I could be truly happy." (Fill in the blank with whatever you wish).  However, when we get that one thing that we think will make us truly happy the joy is only fleeting.  Soon we think about the next thing that will make us truly happy.  This idea is often referred to as a hunger.  When you eat you feel full for awhile.  Soon the hunger returns and you must feed your appetite once again. This ceaseless appetite points to something missing in our lives.

Right now is Ghost Month in Taiwan.  This month all the spirits who aimlessly roam Taiwan haunting people are allowed to descend into hell.  (Doesn't sound like much of a bargain, right?)  Once the ghost has descended they are given a new chance at life through reincarnation and an almost never-ending cycle of life do-overs.  (One life is enough for me, thank you.  If I wasn't smart enough to get it right the first time, I'm not going to be smart enough to get it the 2nd, 3rd or 50th time either.)

It is interesting that every religion recognizes the fact that our spirit is not made for this world and we are not temporal beings.  The Bible teaches that we were made for something bigger than this world and because of that, our spirit longs for what is eternal.

Perhaps our lack of contentment is not the fault of advertisers or Hollywood or economic downturns or portion-stuffed restaurants.  What if the void in our spirit constantly cries for more because we try to fill an eternal hole with things made for this temporary world- bigger houses, fancier cars, more TV channels, designer clothes, better education and fattier foods.  Maybe a true spirit of contentment must come from something bigger and deeper than this world. 

For the believer in Christ, when we accept with gratitude the provisions we are provided- regardless of how great or small - we are one step closer to thinking with a larger-than-life worldview.  If we think about life with eternity in mind then $20 more per week loses its sex-appeal.

1 comment:

Mom Weathers said...

A great write, Heather. Very well put!