Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

1st Day of School

Today was Chloe's first day of Kindergarten.  I'm not sure who was more nervous me or her.  They can start school a little earlier here than in America.  We decided it would be a good idea to send Chloe to school to learn Mandarin.  She is attending the local Taiwanese school and the entire class is in Chinese.  Fortunately, her teacher is able to speak a little English and I can now understand a little Chinese.  I still can't speak Chinese very well so I usually have to reply to her teacher in English but at least I can understand what her teacher is saying. 

Anyways, Chloe was a real trooper for her first day.  She was so proud to wear her Strawberry Shortcake backpack (provided by Grandma Linda) to her school.  She felt like such a big kid.

Her Chinese name is Wei Ke Yi and that is what her teacher and all the kids call her.  She loved play time.  Her class had all her favorites- a book area, a kitchen set, a train set as well as a puzzle area.  She is still learning to adapt to organized group circle time but I think she will get it soon.  I stayed in her class for the first couple of hours along with the other parents so that the kids could become familar with the classroom, the teacher, the bathrooms, etc.

She is now passed out on her bed from all the nervous excitement. I am so proud of her.

3 comments:

Nana Weathers said...

Wow...I just saw Debbra on her first day. My other two were no problem. I guess 'first children' may be the hardest. She looks so grown up...(boo hoo)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, thanks for the 1st day report.. this great-grandma is anxious about it, too!!! So glad she had a good first day experience!

Gma Pat

Erin said...

YEAH! so fun. I remember my first day of school. Your kids are going to have great memories from their childhood, Heather. :-)