Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2007

There's a water buffalo on my highway

One day last week Jeff, Chloe and I were driving home from the office on the "Super Highway."

The superhighway is more like a large boulevard with four lanes and a concrete divider than an actual "super highway." There are shops along the street and stop lights in the middle but it will get you from point a to point b in a relatively short amount of time.

Anyways, as we were driving along, traffic began to stop ahead and split down the middle. This is a little odd as it is the "super highway." As we got closer to the ruckous we notice a large animal making his way through traffic. About this same time we realize that this large animal looks angry.

Not wanting to offend the water buffalo walking down the superhighway, we too quickly move out of his way. By the time I got the camera out he was too far away to get a picture.

Being the analytical person that I am, I begin to think "there's a lesson as well as a funny story in all this."

I realized that being here in this new city with all these new people in a new job with a new house and new rules and a new language- these are all water buffaloes on my super highway. Just when I think I'm picking up speed and getting along just fine, another water buffalo comes walking in my way. The funny thing about water buffaloes is that even though you don't think they belong on your highway, there isn't much you are going to do to move THEM out of the way. YOU have to move around them.

The other funny thing about water buffaloes is that they will probably never realize all the inconvenience they caused you nor will they really care. All I can do is laugh and try to become quicker on the draw with the camera

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great story and a good lesson for all. That almost sounds like Oklahoma when there are cows in the road.

Bobby Cox said...

Hey, just thought I would check in with you. We were in Tulsa last week and are now on our way back to the islands. Looks like you are having a good time as well. We are thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Water buffs = moose in Alaska. Same thing, you definately *do_not* want to run ones of these critters over!

Good post, I'm going to attempt a call to you guys in a bit.

Unka /b