Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

On long runs, fair rides and new friends

It’s kind of funny, the things that I miss the most are not the things that I expected to miss. About this time in the states, I would be looking forward to cooler weather and the fair. Jeff and I would ride “The Zipper” until we were sick, eat a funnel cake, walk around and try not to stare at all the weirdos that always seem to be at the fair. Then we would take a stroll through the buildings to admire the new cars, cows and pigs. One year we saw the Budweiser Clydesdales. Evenings are always the best time to be at the fair because of all the lights.

I miss waking up at 5:30am on Saturday mornings to run with some of the best people I have ever met. There is nothing like the feeling of the last ¼ mile of 12 or 14-mile run. The best was running when it was below 40 degrees.

The ironic thing is that when our time here is finished whether it be in 2 years or 20, I will miss all the memories that we are currently making. I will miss the mountains and the food. I probably won’t miss the traffic or the heat. But I will miss the people.

Thai people are welcoming and warm. They are quiet and shy on the outside. But warm and spirited on the inside. Their city is divided young and old. The young “western” ways have stretched a shadowy finger into everyday life but the old lifestyle still holds a firm grasp on many of the young. They are enthralled by my white baby and she loves them and they love her in return. Yes, I will miss the people most of all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, nice surprise to log on and find you have posted another story about what's going on with you all. I know this is a tremendous experience for both of you, and so glad you have the opportunity. I'm glad that the initial transport into a new culture is nearly a month old now and you are beginning to "see where you are" and how to adjust your life. I'll bet Miss Chloe is a great big hit - precious, beautiful baby!
Gma Pat

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that you are beginning to enjoy the people there. It is funny the things that you miss and remember when you're away from home, whereever that may be. Of course Chloe is a hit there, she is after all the most beautiful baby in the world!!

Love you,

Tammy