Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Spicy Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk (Panang Curry)


While we were in Thailand, this spicy curry dish quickly became one of our favorite foods.  I was so thrilled to find a restaurant here in Taipei that serves this dish as well (for those days I don't feel like making it myself). You can adjust the amount of curry paste to your preferred level of spiciness.  We like it pretty hot. You can use red curry paste or panang curry paste.  I prefer panang curry because it has a few more spices than just basic red curry.  Either kinds of curry as well as the fish sauce should be available at your local Asian food store.  Enjoy!

1 1/2 C. Cocounut Milk
3/4 Tbsp Panang Curry Paste
1 lb boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts, sliced into thin strips
2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Red Bell Pepper, thin sliced
1/4 C. Red Chili Peppers, thin sliced with seeds and ribs removed
*Note: unless you want to light up your life, be sure to remove the seeds where all the spicy flavor is contained
1/2 C. fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 tsp. Salt
3 C. cooked Jasmine Rice


Whisk coconut milk and curry paste in large saute pan over medium-low heat.  Cook until curry is evenly distributed and fragrant, about 5 minutes.  Add the chicken and cook until browned.  Add fish sauce, sugar, peppers and basil.  Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.  Salt to taste. Add lime juice and serve over Jasmine rice.

Note: I always use Thai Jasmine rice which is sometimes also called Thai fragrant rice (because it smells like popcorn when it is cooked).  Basmati rice is a good alternative but you can use whatever rice you have on hand.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds scrumptious! As soon as we can get to town (we are still snowed in with more on the way!) I will buy the ingredients and give this one a try, too. I agree with you - Jasmine rice is the very best!

Anonymous said...

What kind of red chili peppers would I ask for?

Anonymous said...

P.S. you have some great pictures in your slide show at the beginning of this blog.... thanks

The Weathers said...

Thanks for the pictures compliment. I'm glad you like them.

The red chili peppers are just small, long, thin chili peppers. I don't know their exact variety name. They look a bit like jalapenos but smaller and thinner and red. You can see them in the picture next to the red bell pepper. I just know them as Thai Red Chili Peppers but I'm sure they have some fancy name.

Valerie said...

this post left my mouth watering. i am definitely going to have to try it. Doug and I are big Thai food fans.