Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

What's for Dinner?

Several months ago we were out of groceries and hungry. I wasn't in the mood to go to the grocery store and our budget wasn't in the mood to eat out.  My pantry consisted of one onion, one green bell pepper, one cup of baby carrots and two boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  And of course, rice- we do live in Asia after all.  What began as an experiment has become one of my family's faves.

Mediterranean Chicken

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves crushed garlic
Dash of salt and pepper
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts- cubed
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1 1/2 cups baby carrots, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice (approx. 3 cups cooked)



Combine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add cubed chicken and toss to coat.  I usually prepare this in the morning, cover with plastic wrap and throw it in the fridge to marinate several hours.  


About an hour before cooking time, I add the chopped veggies and allow them to marinate in the chicken mixture as well.  I like my veggies chunky.  You can dice them smaller if you have picky eaters.  Note: If you have washed the outside of your chicken, you shouldn't have to worry about icky things like Salmonella infecting your lovely veggies.  However, if you are still concerned take heart that you will be cooking this dish at 450 degrees for over an hour- the germs won't hurt you.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Cover with foil and bake 45-50 minutes. Remove foil, stir the mixture and cook 10 more minutes or until carrots are desired tenderness.
 

And where would I be without my "Super Lucky Elephant"?  (Probably not be in Asia)
About 30 minutes before dinner time, I prepare 4 servings of Jasmine Rice in my rice cooker.  You can use the microwave and any variety of rice you have including brown rice if you want to add some fiber to your diet.  


The finished product is a super-easy, super-healthy meal and if your family members are veggie lovers like mine- they'll love it.  Sorry to all you veggie-haters this recipe might not work out so well for you.  I'll post a good fried dough recipe for you later.

5 comments:

Jim Graham said...

Hey, I've eaten that before. At your house. It was good!

Mom Weathers said...

I think I just may try it! Of course, I'll have left overs...wonder if it does well for later.

Erin said...

Looks delicious! I can't wait to try!

The Weathers said...

Jim: Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Jan: I think it tastes even better the next day.

Erin: Hope you like it.

Bev McCrary said...

Looks really good. I am going to try it this week.