Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Culture 101

Here is your first lesson in Asian culture:



When visiting an Asian home the general rule of thumb is to remove your shoes before entering. Where we live this rule applies to everyone. Delivery men, workmen, friends and coworkers.


For example: We had a new refrigerator delivered. It was large and still in the box. It took two guys and a dolly to move the thing around but nonetheless they paused long enough at the door to slip off their shoes. We had a carpenter come to build a box around our ac units to prevent outside air, limit noise, and make them look better. He spent all day barefoot stepping on sawdust and it was only about 50 degrees inside and out.


Lesson: It is very important to remove one's shoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid this old man would have a bit of trouble taking his shoes off each time he is in and out. Maybe after one time around they would not want to smell my feet and would beg me to keep my shoes on. Different folks-----.
Mr. Cooley needed a little English review, "That They" bad, poor.
We do enjoy your blog. So glad things are coming together for you guys. Sounds like a rich and fertile field for your work. Keep up the good work.
gp le
p.s. Jeff, I had some dozer work done, BIG brush pile now.

Morgan said...

I might have to steal this idea for our blog too. I actually took a pic of our shoe cabinet a few months ago and then never posted it. Maybe I will finally get around to it!

Mom Weathers said...

Don't most of the people wear either sandles or flip-flops? That's why they don't mind the bother?? (at least in Thailand it seemed so...maybe not there as the weather is a little cooler, huh?) It is a pain when wearing lace ups. I know I kept forgetting. I think even Deb got used to it and had to remind me!
Mom Weathers