Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Like Grandfather, like mother, like daughter...

When I was a kid, I would often feel an overwhelming compulsion to eat candy, play games, sort toys or fold laundry in a very systematic way.  Once, my mother bought a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter cups and I noticed that my father systematically unwrapped each Peanut Butter Cup and then carefully lined them up in preparation for their impending doom.  Much like a henchman lines up his subject for the gallows. 

I have overcome much of my compulsive tendencies as it seems that time gets shorter but my to-do list gets longer and longer.  I can honestly say that I have never lined up my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Hershey's Kisses or M&M's prior to indulgence.

So, what but genetics would cause this? (see pic above) 

Chloe is systematically lining up her M&Ms before she eats them.  She won't eat even a single one until they have all been sorted and aligned perfectly.  Nature or Nurture?  Hmmmm...

2 comments:

Mills said...

It is perfectly reasonable. that way one can decide which combination of flavors to combine at which point. It is called enlightened edibility and is practiced by the most cerebral.

Erin said...

Exactly, Mills. It's the only sensible way to eat anything of that sort.